Tuesday 20 May 2014

Jorge Luis Borges -“The Aleph”

Jorge Luis Borges -“The Aleph” 



I read the short story "The Aleph" by J L Borges as part of my territories of practice, personalized universes. This story is essentially about the cosmos and is a metaphor for the universe. The Aleph relates directly to my practice as the theme that is prevalent throughout all my art is repetition in nature and the macro-microcosmic nature of the universe.

I find it interesting how Borges has used the protagonist to depict the macro-microcosm of the universe as he is standing in his own microcosm of a universe in his basement whilst still looking at the universe as a whole. The aleph is also significant as it is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet and in Kabbalah and other mystic traditions, the aleph relates to the origins of the universe. My work is similar to this novel as i also explore the patterns in nature that are found in the cosmos whilst still being found in cells. Looking at Borges novel has helped my imagination more and i think to take my work to the next step i need to explore the idea of simultaneous viewpoints, distortion, overlapping and the idea of infinity. I have previously tried to look into the idea of the infinity by creating works that formed a repeat pattern that symbolized the universe going on forever however i want to know create a sculpture or a installation that signifies this.

No comments:

Post a Comment