Friday 9 May 2014

Exhibition: Whitechapel Gallery- Hannah Hoch

Exhibition: Whitechapel Gallery- Hannah Hoch 



Today I went to see the Hannah Hoch exhibition that was on at the Whitechapel Gallery. Hannah Hoc is primarily known for her work of the weimar period as she was one of the front runners for photo montage.

I found Hoch's work to be very interesting especially as i feel her work represented the nature of a women's life and challenged the notion and ideals of beauty we have as a society. I believe that this exhibition relates to my territories of practice as Hoch's work expresses her own perceptions regarding womanhood and beauty whilst also commenting on the human condition and the oppressive culture we live in.

I feel that Hoch relates to my work as she was trained in embroidery, textiles and pattern making. This is quite evident in her work, especially in "Heads of State" and "Reed Pen Collage". These works, from her post-war period, combine collage with textiles and can be seen as kind of embroidery. I thought that "Heads of State" was a very interesting piece, as she incorporated quite dominating elements, the cut out men and the drawn on embroidery, together and still managed to keep it looking subtle.

"Reed Pen Collage" is my favorite piece from the whole series work, i really like this work as it is graphic in nature and i find it interesting that despite having two or three bold prints, Hoch has still managed to merge them together without allowing the collage to become overwhelming and chaotic. I thought Hoch was skilled as she decided to keep this collage monochrome, we as the viewer, are not distracted by the color, but focus on the design instead. After examining this piece, i have felt inspired to not just work in single print but blend and mix patterns. I feel that by doing this, i will achieve a more visually interesting piece. I also like the way Hoch has positioned the patterns at different angles and has placed larger prints with smaller prints, i would also like to try this as i find it works better then having a single print and the same angle like my work.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment